Vacancy - Pattern Cutter and Product Developer
Job Title: Pattern Cutter and Product Developer
Pay rate: Commensurate with experience
Contracted hours: Full-time
Sew Me Something has been helping people to sew and make their own clothes for 10 years with our own range of dressmaking patterns and online courses. We have grown from a simple haberdashery store to an award winning, multi strand business providing help and support for would be dressmakers and crafters.
Sew Me Something design and create dressmaking patterns for the modern stylish woman and we are looking to venture into menswear in the near future too.
The main focus of Sew Me Something is to help people, and this should be yours too. It is important to go that extra mile and put a smile on someone’s face to brighten up their day. We are a small but supportive creative team and the business has grown exponentially over the last 2 years, necessitating the expansion of our team to maintain and increase our market presence.
This role is an addition to our content production team and you will need to be able to work alongside others but also be happy to work on your own, creating patterns to supplement and add to our existing range of both printed and PDF dressmaking patterns.
You will need to be proficient in flat pattern cutting both manually and digitally as we utilise both systems to develop our designs.
Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite will also be required to assist with formatting and writing technical instructions, and creative presentations.
You will need to have excellent organisational and communication skills, be able to work unsupervised and used your own initiative to prioritise tasks.
We have regular meetings to monitor the progress of the business so you will need to be approachable and friendly, but equally able to voice your opinion if you can see a better way of working.
Flexibility is key within this role as we help each other within the team as well as focussing on helping our customers. So we all chip in to make sure everything runs as smoothly as possible. This means you will also gain experience in other departments.
Although your hours will be mainly during the working week, we normally attend a number of exhibitions and shows throughout the year and your participation in some of those will be required, as and when we are able to attend these again. The shows are great fun and allow us to chat directly with our customers gaining invaluable feedback on our products and workshops.
This position is a permanent full-time role and the most important aspect to any candidate will be their “Can- Do” positive attitude.
- Part of the friendly and supportive creative team to design and develop new pattern ideas.
- Continuous trend research and market analysis to inform the creative design decisions
- Creating trend boards and shop reports to communicate creative ideas effectively
- Translate design ideas into commercial patterns in a timely manner
- Hand drawn or CAD design flats to accurately interpret design ideas
- Accurate first patterns
- Fit analysis and pattern adaptations
- Digitise finished patterns ready for grading
- Assist in the writing of technical instructions
- Strong understanding of commercial womenswear
- Excellent knowledge of garment construction and pattern cutting
- Background in woven but with a good technical knowledge of jersey fabrics
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Excellent eye for detail
- Excellent communication and organisational skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Good knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Self-motivated with a ‘Can Do’ attitude
- Great interpersonal skills and a team player
Please apply with a C.V. and COVERING LETTER explaining clearly how and why you would be a good fit with us.