Build your skills - Hems
Get Savvy with Hems!
2pm - 5pm
About this workshop:
Are you hacked off with hems? Do they look unsightly and spoil the finish of the garments you’ve worked so hard on? They are usually the last bit to finish and the one that can give you the mist headaches. But don’t worry we can help!
In this workshop, which is one of a series to help you improve and build your sewing skills, you will learn lots of easy ways to get a much better finish to your hems.
You will Learn:
- Different types of hem finish
- How to select the best hem for your garment and fabric
- How to support the fabric correctly inside the hem
- What types of products and tapes to use
- How to hand sew hems
- How to machine sew hems
- How to press hems professionally
- How to sew hems with vents and splits
- How to sew hems in garments with linings
Level 3 Advanced Beginner
- Has made simple garments in the past 6 months.
- Has familiarity with using a sewing pattern, measuring themselves and picking a size
- Is looking to learn new techniques
- Can sew simple dressmaking projects without difficulty
- Can follow a sewing pattern unaided
What’s included in the Workshop:
- 10% off any other fabrics purchased on the day of your course
- A mini fabric pack including samples of different fabrics for you to try out the different processes.
- Vlieseline interlinings and other products to use to stabilise your samples.
- Use of all machines and sewing tools.
- Use of our sewing threads in a variety of neutral colours.
- Sample patterns pieces to use at home to practice with.
- Tea/coffee and cake will be included so please let us know any dietary requirements at the time of booking.
What you need to bring:
An open mind and a willing heart, as everything else will be provided.